Seth and JJ tackle the complicated case of NXIVM–how did an MLM that sold itself as an “executive success program” under the direction of Keith Raniere end up with massive public attention…and more importantly, with many arrests and federal indictments on sex and labor trafficking? We detail how a group (DOS, or the Vow) within a group (Jness) within a group (NXIVM) ended up with a 2019 trial on human trafficking–and more broadly, how cults and human trafficking have a lot of overlap.
- Barcella, Laura. “NXIVM: What We Know About Alleged Sex Trafficking, Forced Labor.” Rolling Stone. June 25, 2018.
- Edmondson, Sarah, and Sarah Berman. “Why I Joined a Secret Society That Branded Me.” Vice. November 03, 2017.
- Grigoriadis, Vanessa. “Inside Nxivm, the ‘Sex Cult’ That Preached Empowerment.” The New York Times. May 30, 2018. Accessed November 15, 2018.
- Hopper, Elizabeth, and José Hidalgo. “Invisible chains: Psychological coercion of human trafficking victims.” Intercultural Hum. Rts. L. Rev. 1 (2006): 185.
- Military Training Materials, Center for the Study of Human Rights in the Americas
- Psychological Coercion, The Neurotypical Website
- Uncover: S1 Escaping NXIVM, CBCnews
- What Awful Marriages & Cults Have in Common, Psychology Today
- Zimmerman, Amy. “The Hollywood Followers of Nxivm, a Women-Branding Sex Cult.” The Daily Beast.