Sex-trafficking victim Cyntoia Brown was granted clemency by Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam on January 7, 2019. JJ discusses Brown’s childhood, her trafficking situation with Cut Throat, the incident where she killed Johnny Allen, the complexities of the case, how her story gained publicity, and why she attained clemency.
- Me Facing Life: Cyntoia’s Story, iTVS
- How The Justice System Failed Cyntoia Brown, Refinery29
- Cyntoia Brown: National legal groups join appeal to free woman sentenced to life at 16, Tennessean
- Cyntoia Brown Is Granted Clemency After 15 Years in Prison, The New York Times
- Johnny Michael Allen: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know, Heavy
- Fact Sheet: Safe Harbor Laws, National Council of Jewish Women
- Human Trafficking Issue Brief: Safe Harbor, Polaris